Patterns

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

My top 5 sewing room injuries

 
The sewing work room can indeed be a very dangerous place to hang out. In fact when working away at a large project, it’s very seldom that I don’t injure myself at all, something I would call a feat indeed.
Here are the top 5 most memorable injuries I can remember from my years of sewing.
  • The wrong end of the pin going into my finger!
 
That’s right, I have had the wrong end of a metal pinhead go right into my finger. I remember staring at it for a moment, in shock, before pulling it out. I was young and still learning that not all pins do the same job!
  • Burned on the sewing machine light bulb
 
I was working late one night, and left the cover for my sewing machine light bulb open, to generate a bit more light... let’s just say that I now understand why the light bulb is covered, to protect busy hands underneath it.
  • Sewn my finger in the machine
 
Yes... I have done this. Luckily only a few stitches through the skin and no major damage, though it was painful enough.
  • Melted plastic from boning
 
I use solid ribbon boning for all my corset work, but when I cut it, it creates sharp edges that can push through layers of fabric, so I usually pass these through a candle flame, very quickly, to soften the corners so that I can round them. Though on a rare occasion I hold it under the flame too long, and instead of rounding the corners, I end up getting hot plastic melted onto my finger.
  • Raw hands from working with canvas
 
One of my favorite clients hired me to do a few patio chair covers in water proof canvas. It turned out to be a bigger job than I had initially planned and after three solid days of feeding canvas through the machine, my hands were so incredibly raw that I quite literally had to take a few days off to recover.

 Pattern of the week

Envelope Style Gift Bag

 Christmas gift bag
The festive season is upon us, and what better way to wrap your gifts this year than with this envelope style gift bag.
 envelope gift bag Christmas
This sewing pattern includes bags for sizes A6, A5, A4 and A3. So whether you want to neatly present a stocking filler, or something much bigger, then this is the gift bag for you!

Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment